Ready, Set, GROW
This is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love the mild temps, the cleansing rains, the amazing fragrances - and all the eye candy. It is exciting to watching nature wake up with greenery and the flowers that seem to appear, as if by magic, from the earth - barren one day then lush and green the next. My husband and I are spending every possible moment outside, gardening and playing and walking through the gardens eager to see what new treasures have blossomed today.
I get most excited about some of the more short lived perennials, because I will only be able to enjoy them for a few short weeks. Right now, my irises are blooming one by one, showing off each amazing form and color. And my rhododendron is simple amazing! I love my garden. It is therapy for me and I love being so close to nature when I am digging in the dirt!
Current Sales and Coupons:
- Hostas are still our featured perennial and are 25% off through June 3rd. Hostas are the mainstays of the shade garden - grown for their luscious foliage and are available in a wide range of foliage color, shape, texture and size. Plant hostas with ferns, wildflowers, and shade perennials on the north side of a house or under the canopy of large trees. Hostas also look quite elegant planted in a container. Reg priced $5.49 and up.
- Buy 2 Get 1 FREE Wave Petunias! Wave Petunias spread like crazy and bloom profusely! No dead-heading needed! Their spectacular low-growing, spreading habit makes waves an exciting choice for landscapes and garden beds, as well as baskets and large color bowls. Assorted colors available in 4" pots and handle 6pks.
- Buy 2 Get 1 FREE Geraniums! Geraniums are a traditional favorite. They're one of the best for patio pots around a pool or near the lake since they are able to thrive in hot, dry and sunny locations better than almost any other annual. Red is the color most people request but that should not deter anyone from noticing the beautiful salmons, purples, pinks and whites that are available. Available in 5.5" and gallon pots.
- Just in time for summer planting, we are offering a coupon for $2 off bedding plant flats - perfect for planting larger areas.
Free Events and Classes:
- Summer Veggies -Tomatoes, Peppers and the Rest. Free. Join us tonight at 6pm for great information on how to grow your own warm weather vegetables. There really is nothing like the satisfaction of harvesting your own produce, the sensation and smells of preparing food that you grew yourself! You simply cannot get fresher than walking outside, picking what you need and cooking.
- The 60th annual Iris Flower Show, presented by Southwestern Michigan Iris Society, will be held at Wenke Greenhouses this Saturday May 30, 2015. The show opens to the public at 1:00 pm until 8:00 pm. If you would like to enter in the show, please bring your Iris in between 8:00 am and 10:00 am. Judging starts at 10:30 and the show opens at 1:00 pm. All varieties of Iris will be accepted;Tall Bearded, medium and dwarf bearded and non-bearded. I think I may have a few to enter this year!
Gardening in the Shade - Life beyond Hostas. Free. Join us Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 6pm to listen to Drew Edwards share his wealth of knowledge with us as he speaks about a variety of plants for the shade garden.
And don't forget to stop in to get free liquid fertilizer - just bring your own container. Fertilizer is the secret to beautiful flowers all summer long. We also encourage you to drop off the plastic pots and trays for recycling. The recycle bin is in the NE corner of the parking lot and is available 24 hours a day.
Where the Earth Laughs in Flowers
P.S. Like us on Facebook and help us reach 1000 likes! We are almost there with 922 likes!
All about Roses with Larry"The Rose Guy"
“Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.”
~ Alphonse Karr
Learn All About Roses from Larry Hill. Larry loves talking about roses and sharing his knowledge and love of roses with others.